The mission of Haymarket Center is to aid people with substance use disorders in their recovery by providing comprehensive behavioral health solutions.
The field of addictions has gone through a remarkable transformation over the past few years. Haymarket Center has emerged as a leader in the field of addictions and behavioral health treatment. We have done this through our evidence based interventions and state of the art programming geared towards strong outcomes. Our theme that captures the spirit of Haymarket Center is “Focus on Success.”
The message behind Focus on Success is one of participation by every Haymarket Center employee. Together, we are creating a company where teamwork and collaboration enable us to succeed, both individually and collectively.
Focus on Success
Aligns well with our plans to:
- Establish goals/outcomes consistent with industry leadership.
- Define the actions that will help us achieve those goals.
- Identify opportunities for improvement within individual clinical, areas and across the entire organization.
- Create a culture of collaboration, mentorship, continuous quality improvement and strong outcomes.
- Attract and retain employees whose values are most aligned with our culture.
Six Core Values
- Integrity – Honor my commitments and support of good patient care.
- Diversity – Make everyone feel included, and provide strong integrated care based on individual needs inclusive of cultural differences.
- Financial Focus – Know how my work affects Haymarket Center.
- Customer Focus – Walk in the patient’s shoes.
- Professionalism – Committed to doing quality work.
- Teamwork – Collaborate with others.
Executed Through Leadership
- Promote teamwork and cooperation.
- Lead by example.
- Value and respect differences.
- Focus on patients.
- Execute with excellence.
- Organize around people.
- Focus on Outcomes.
Founded in 1975 by the late Monsignor Ignatius McDermott and Dr. James West, McDermott Center dba Haymarket Center is the largest not-for-profit community-based adult detoxification, residential, and outpatient substance use treatment facility in Chicago. Haymarket Center has continued to grow into a comprehensive alcohol and other drug treatment organization, licensed by the state of Illinois, which receives funding from the private sector, as well as city, county, state and federal agencies. The treatment programs are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF).
Msgr. McDermotts and Dr. West’s understanding of addiction as a disease provided the motivation for their call for treatment in lieu of criminalization. This fundamental perspective continues to guide Haymarket Center in pioneering innovative, high quality, community-based behavioral health programs that are gender responsive, culturally appropriate and population specific. Although Haymarket serves primarily persons experiencing homelessness and/or poverty, many with justice system backgrounds, from the south and west side communities of Chicago, it extends its services to the entirety of Illinois. Since its inception Haymarket Center has remained wholeheartedly devoted to identifying and designing new and progressive methods for furthering our founding mission: “to aid people with chemical dependency in their recovery by providing a continuum of optimal professional care that is responsive to the identified needs of the community.”
With more than 30 specialized programs supporting our mission, most are CARF accredited programs that implement evidence-based practices which harness significant research that prove their effectiveness and ensure greater success for our clients. Along with this commitment, we have continually been faithful to our guiding principle of providing comprehensive substance use treatment and referrals to Chicago’s vastly ignored and underserved populations regardless of their ability to afford services. Our loyalty to these two fundamental principles has led Haymarket to develop programs in clinical treatment and supportive services to men, women, and children, serving over 12,000 clients per year.